Maybe you’ve already read the “Playing with wine part I: how to do a wine tasting at home”, if not, I highly recommend it! There I share everything you have to know in order to do your own wine tasting in the comfort of your home.
That said, I suggest choosing Sauvignon Blanc as your first variety.
Why? Many reasons.
1. It is a white wine so you don’t have to worry about tannins. Only red wines have tannins.
2. It is an aromatic variety, which means its aromas are very intense.
3. Its aromas and flavors are usually easy to recognize.
4. It is a high acidity wine. And that’s great for setting your palate for the future. It will serve as reference for the next wines you taste. If the wine makes your mouth water like Sauvignon Blanc did, then it has high acidity too.
5. Finally, Chile has very good and affordable Sauvignon Blancs, so you won’t have to spend too much money.
Here’s a list of three labels, their prices and techsheets. I chose all from the same store, La Vinoteca, to make things easier. And don’t forget to have this Wine Tasting checklist on hand.
Sauvignon Blanc Tasting Notes
Sauvignon Blanc wines are usually clean, with greenish yellow coloring, high aromatic intensity, with citrus aromas like lemon, grapefruit, grass, ají verde, herbs, pears, apples, white flowers and tropical fruits. On the palate it is dry, with flavors that are very consistent with the aromas, light body and high acidity.
The high acidity is what makes Sauvignon Blanc ideal for pairing with ceviches, because it can compete with the lemon’s acidity.
I hope you got inspired to make your own wine tasting at home and that this article is helpful. If you do decide to make a tasting, I’m always available for drinking wine.